Monday, January 21, 2019

A common pathway to ulceration...the anatomy of a diabetic foot ulcer.



To the left, you see two pictures of the same foot.  This is a common presentation of the neuropathic diabetic foot. Neuropathic refers to the patient's inability to feel pain and the appropriate signals that would help a patient seek care sooner.  A patient has no sensation, they continue to develop callused skin in one area. After enough pressure from a callus develops a wound starts to form under the callus.  The patient could go for a very long period of time with the ulcer getting larger and possibly infected due to their lack of sensation that is often associated with long standing diabetes.

One of the most critical factors in a patient's successful outcome, is having a skilled physician involved in their care.  If you know someone or you yourself has a wound on the lower extremity, you need a doctor who has a passion for limb salvage.  Limb Salvage is a term that has been coined in reference to preserving the diabetic foot or a foot with an open wound.  Doctors who are trained in limb salvage have been specially trained.  As the diabetic limb salvage resident at West Penn Hospital in Pittsburgh, I spent two years diagnosing, treating and preserving limbs of many patients.  I can honestly say that no other part of what I do as a podiatrist is more gratifying than helping a patient prevent an amputation.  I have practiced in Clermont, Florida since 2002 and happy to say that I have helped save many limbs.  If a patient has a wound below the knee, I can help them!  My favorite place to treat wounds is at one of the two wound care centers that I see patients: Leesburg Regional and The Villages Regional wound care centers, but I also see people in Clermont in my office.

Dr. Henne and myself have had many conversations about our patient outcomes.  The most interesting part about our patients in our practice that are diabetic, is that they are not usually the patients that we have to perform amputations on or have to put them in the hospital for a debridement.  Debridement is a term used describe what a doctor does in order to remove dead or infected tissue from a wound. It could be superficial or down to bone depending on the severity and depth of the wound. What Dr. Henne and I take very seriously is the role we play in preventive care in the diabetic foot.  When we meet a patient who is diabetic for the first time in our office we explain the role we play in prevention of future foot problems, by means of At risk foot care. At risk foot care is the term used by insurance companies for visits to the podiatrist for care of the feet.  These visits are ways for early detection of foot problems that could lead to ulceration and possible infections. These visits are meant to put out fires before they start.  What we offer in our office is the patient is always seen by the doctor and only the doctor performs these services in our office.  There is no medical assistant trimming calluses in our office, only the doctor.  These visits do not seem like a huge deal to our at risk patients because they don't develop problems, just by keeping up with a good foot care regimen.

If you are diabetic you should be following some very simple rules:
1. Check your feet daily, and if you can not see or reach your feet, have someone else check them
2. Always wear protection on your feet
3. Avoid soaking your feet, unless otherwise instructed by your doctor
4. Do not wait to seek treatment for something suspicious on your feet

If you have an open wound or you have a loved one who has an open wound, and they have not had any improvement you need to think about seeking out a higher level of care. Look for a doctor who is passionate about limb salvage.  If you are in the Central Florida area, we would be more than happy to evaluate you.  Sometimes when patient's require more complex care, I see patients at the wound care center in Leesburg or The Villages. Call our office today if you would like an evaluation of your wound 352-242-2502.

Our office is located in Lost Lake Professional Village
Michele McGowan DPM
3190 Citrus Tower Blvd Ste A
Clermont,FL 34711.






14 comments:

  1. I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.





    I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr Emmanuel cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr Emmanuel the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348140073965 or email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Emmanuel that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : nativehealthclinic@gmail.com. or WHATSAPP +2348140073965 GOD BLESS YOU ALL?

      Delete
    2. My Name is Faith, and am really grateful and thankful for what Dr voodoo
      has done for me and my family. I Was having HIV/AIDS for good three years
      with no solution, the diseases almost took my life and cause I was unable
      to work and I was also loosing lots of money for medication, but one
      faithful day when I went online, I met lots of testimonies about this great
      man so I decided to give it a try and to God be the glory he did it. he
      cured me of my diseases and am so happy and so pleased to Write about him
      today. if you need his help of you also want to get cured just the way I
      got mine, add Dr voodoo on whatsApp: +2348140120719 or just contact Dr
      voodoo via email, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. this is real take it serious, who will believe that a herb can cure ten
      years HIV in my body, i never believe that this will work i have spend a
      lot when getting drugs from the hospital to keep me healthy, what i was
      waiting for is death because i was broke, one day i hard about this great
      man who is well know of HIV and cancer cure, i decided to email him,
      unknowingly to me that this will be the end of the HIV aids in my body, he
      prepare the herb for me, and give me instruction on how to take it, at the
      end of the two week, he told me to go to the hospital for a check up, and i
      went, surprisingly after the test the doctor confirm me negative, i thought
      it was a joke, i went to other hospital was also negative, then i took my
      friend who was also HIV positive to the Dr voodoo after the treatment she
      was also confirm negative . He also have the herb to cure cancer please i
      want every one with this virus to be free, that is why am dropping his
      email address, voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com i want you to email him he
      is a great man. the government is also interested in this Dr voodoo
      thank you for saving my life, and I promise I will always testify
      for your good work you can also add him on whatsApp
      +2348140120719

      Delete
  2. I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.



    I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.






    I was suffering from Warts Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Nana the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whatsapp +2347014784614.or via email:on drnanaherbalsolutionhome@gmail .com for more information.





































    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW I GOT CURED FROM HPV WARTS VIRUS
    Dr.Omohan herbal medicine is a good remedy for HPV WARTS , I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HPV WARTS cure and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr.Omohan cure them from HPV WARTS, I decided to contact, I contacted him and he guided me. I asked him for solutions and he started the remedies for my health. Thank God, now everything is fine, I’m cured by Dr.Omohan herbal medicine, I’m very thankful to Dr.Omohan, reach him on dromohanherbalmedicine@gmail.com WHATSAPP HIM VIA +2348164816038.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Friends i am so glad to writing this article today to tell the world how Dr Emmanuel cured my HSV VIRUS,i have been detected with HSV-1 AND HSV-2 since five years ago, ever since then my life has been in complete bizarre and agony,i have used so many drugs that was prescribed to me by several doctors,but it didn't cure my HSV VIRUS neither did it reduce the pain,until a certain i was checking for solution in the internet,then miraculously came across Dr Emmanuel the powerful herbalist that cure numerous individuals HSV-1 AND HSV-2 INFECTION,then i contacted his whatsApp number at +2348140073965 or email: nativehealthclinic@gmail.com i explained everything to him and prepared a cure that cure my HSV-1 AND HSV-2 disease totally after receiving his herbal medicine, so my friends viewers why wait and be suffer when there is someone like Dr Emmanuel that can cure any disease HIV/ CANCER/ HEPATITIS B VIRUS, you can contact his via : nativehealthclinic@gmail.com. or WHATSAPP +2348140073965 GOD BLESS YOU ALL?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr Ebhota is real I was suffering from HERPES Simplex Virus, i was totally depressed due to my predicament , until i meet Dr Ebhota the great Traditional healer who cured me. you can also contact him now on whats app +2349035324155.or via email:drebhota123456@gmail.com, for more information. The medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT, there's no special diet when taking the medicine. He also has cure for SHINGLES ECZEMA, URETHRA, WART, HIV AIDS ALS, HEPATITIS B, CANCER, HERPES, DIABETES ULCER and lots more

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so Happy to be writing this article in here, i am here to explore
    blogs forum about the wonderful and most safe cure for HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS
    . I was positive to the deadly Virus called HERPES and i lost hope
    completely because i was rejected even by my closet friends. i searched
    online to know and inquire about cure for HERPES and i saw Dr Godwin
    testimony online on how he was cured so many persons from Herpes Disease so
    i decided to contact the great herbalist because i know that nature has the
    power to heal everything. i contacted him to know how he can help me and he
    told me never to worry that he will help me with the natural herbs from
    God! After 2 days of contacting him, he told me that the cure is ready and
    he will send it to me via FEDEX or DHL and it will get to me after 4 days!
    i used the medicine as he instructed me (MORNING and EVENING) and i was
    cured! its really like a dream but i'm so happy! That’s the reason i
    decided to also add more comment of Him so that more people can be saved
    just like me! and if you need his help ,contact his Email: ( Drgodwin
    homeofsolution@gmail.com ) you can massage
    him on whatsapp @ +2348054615060

    ReplyDelete
  8. MY STORY HERE IS REAL AND GENUINE. My name is Adams Vienna and i am here to testify about Great Mother who brought back my man to me when he broke up with me because of another woman who he met at his place of work. Great Mother is a very powerful, real and unique woman with special powers. I tried to get help from many places and sources to bring back my man but nothing worked but when i contacted Great Mother, she made me smile again by bringing my man back to me with her special powers.. If you are experiencing any problems in your marriage, relationship, and you have any similar problem to this, contact this Great Woman now she will help you. Here is her website: Ourgreatmother1.com   and here is her email address: Greatmotherofsolutiontemple1@yahoo.com   and you can also contact her now on her own Whatsapp number: +17025514367 You can either contact her on her website, email or her whatsapp number. Thank you Great Mother.  

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been suffering from (HERPES) disease for the last four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year, I had faith in God that I would be healed someday.This disease started to circulate all over my body and I have been taking treatment from my doctor, a few weeks ago I came on search on the internet if I could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search I saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr. Silver and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so I wrote to Dr. Silver telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that I was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later I started experiencing changes all over me as the Dr. assured me that I have cured, after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if I have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advice is if you have such sickness or any other at all you can email Dr. Silver (drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com) sir I am indeed grateful for the help I will forever recommend you to my friends!!! with your lovely Email Address ( drsilverhealingtemple@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348123877102

    ReplyDelete
  10. As a sign of gratitude for how my wife was saved from fibroid, i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My wife suffered from fibroid for more than 20 year of marriage after our first son and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because she was my all and the symptoms were terrible, she had irregular and painful menstrual flow and the size of it was 5cm, and she always complain of stomach pain. we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure her. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and she left the contact of the doctor who had the natural cure to fibroid. I never imagined fibroid has a natural cure if not surgery not until i contacted him and he assured me my wife will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my wife used it as instructed by Dr Godstime, and in one months time we went to the hospital for scan and the doctor confirmed that there is no trace of fibroid and now she is fully okay, even up till this moment she is so full of life. fibroid has a cure and it is a herbal cure contact the doctor for more info on: Drgodstimehealinghome@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2349063469910 on how to get his medication.  

    ReplyDelete