Monday, March 23, 2020

My feet are killing me and I do not want to go to the doctor for my heel pain!




We are trying to give some simple real world advice on heel pain and how to stay out of the ER and Urgent Care centers while the Coronavirus is a part of our daily life for now.  Dr. Henne and I know that some of this information is very common sense.  But honestly, simple things work all the time for minor foot and ankle problems.

In this video we discuss rolling the ice bottle on the foot:
This is simple to do. If you think you have plantar fasciitis or heel pain get rolling! I have had heel pain a couple times and this simple step makes it feel very good right away. Rolling the ice bottle, not only stretches the plantar fascia but it serves as a nice natural anti-inflammatory.



We also discussed stretching the calf muscles which will also in turn stretches out the plantar fascia or arch.  See below my homemade diagram of stretching the fascia because I didn't want to get sued for copyright infringement, so here is my art skill level and why I am a podiatrist!


Next we talked about good support on the foot, even when you are walking around the house you should not go barefoot!!! We like Oofos, spenco, vionic recovery flip flops even a pair of Crocs around the house is better than nothing! Just don't go barefoot and if it is plantar fasciitis, you will feel better.
Obviously, we are human and after watching I thought about a couple things that also we tell patients.  Good shoes with good support obviously.  A good pair of sneakers can help a lot, especially if you have to be on your feet a lot!

If the Shoes need a little more arch support I recommend a Powerstep full length arch support.  Sometimes just a little more support, along with the stretching and icing make all of the difference.

I always tell people that is the pain in the morning is persistent, consider purchasing a posterior night splint as shown below, you can buy it on Amazon.  Even if you can't wear it while you are sleeping, wear it while you are Netflix binge watching during the Quarantine of 2020.
Finally, if you do all these thing and you are not better call your podiatrist office, just make sure they have policies in place to protect you from getting sick!
For more info about heel pain or plantar fasciitis click here: https://centeranklefootcare.com/heel-pain.html

No comments:

Post a Comment