Saturday, August 24, 2013

Fungus Among Us, I mean really in my own home, Mommy Foot Doctor's Worst Nightmare!!!

As I sit and have breakfast with my three beautiful children I reflect on just a couple weeks ago when my oldest asked me to check her feet.  It was 8:30pm when she decided to ask me to give her an impromptu foot exam.  See Lily's bedtime is 8:00 pm, so when she asked for her gratis foot exam I declined:) The next night went very similar to the night before. "Mom! please check my foot", Lily cried at 8:20 pm.  Of course, my mommy, not foot doctor response was, "GO TO BED".  My kids know I love talking feet, but I felt that my very smart 8 year old was trying to manipulate me.


Several days passed and finally my poor Lily said to me at exactly 7:59pm, "Please just take a peek at my toes mommy." I gave in to her request only to discover that:
1. My daughter had Athlete's foot and 2. I am a TERRIBLE MOTHER:)
Now you may insert the music from any horror movie.  I looked in shock at the peeling red skin between all of her toes and on the bottom of her feet. I quickly threw down her covers over her feet and ran to my 7 year olds room. Ripped the sheets off of her feet while she was resting peacefully in her bed.  You may now insert the sound effect of a horror movie scream that went off in my head! My two sweet baby girls had fungus in between all of their toes and on the bottoms of their feet.  Abby, my 7 year old, woke up and said "Yeah, that's been there forever, can you turn out the light."

I scrambled through my house looking for a topical anti-fungal, but much to my dismay, I had none.  What kind of podiatrist doesn't have anti-fungal in their house, right.  Honestly, that is not something you think about keeping in your house on a regular basis.  Both my Lily and Abby are in gymnastics. They go into the gym every time with out shoes and socks and walk several steps outside of the gym barefoot to get their shoes on before leaving the building at the end of practice.  My kids are not immunocompromised, they are not more susceptible to fungus than the next guy, they are normal kids. 

Why them? This is the questions patients ask me all the time when I tell them they have fungus on their skin or nails.  The reality is when you wear an organ on the outside, i.e. your skin, you are exposing it to everything.  Fungus does not discriminate, it does not care if you are young or old, it is out there just waiting for you(insert scary music once more:))!!!

Fungus can thrive for quite some time without a host, it can hang out on some dry skin that has flaked off of someone with a fungal infection.  You then step on the fungal flakes of skin and bam you gots the fungus! But that's not all, if left untreated, like my poor neglected children ( I blame their father, he's a foot doctor too), it can lead to the much more difficult to treat NAIL FUNGUS.  That night I discovered my childrens fungus, I could not sleep at all, I just kept seeing that "Digger the Dermataphyte" lifting up my poor sweet babies toenails. 

The story has a happy ending, as I was able to get an anti-fungal from the office, Clarus Foot Cream, shameless plug, but great product we sell in our office:) In three days it looked better. But I tell all my patients that you always treat skin fungus at least for a week or two longer than you think you have to.  This gives you time to do all the important things like evaluate your shoe gear, throw out whatever is questionable and treat the rest either with spray or SteriShoe.  See once you personally have fungus, skin or nail, the biggest offender for your reinfection is YOU.  The shoes you put back on that have already been exposed to the fungus, the floor surfaces in your house that may have a nice little fungal spot of dead skin waiting to attack, the repeating of PEDICURES in establishments that do not take your health into consideration, these among others are reasons that you should treat athletes foot for a little longer. (Also shameless plug number 2, in our office we have a Safe Pedicure Experience for those who do not want to get nail fungus while getting a pedicure, check us out at  The Natural Nail Spa). And if you are struggling with a nail fungus, taking Lamisil pills by mouth or having the Laser performed, you must continue with a sound preventive program.  It is true that the Laser and Lamisil may increase the nail clear appearance but we tell ALL of our patients that it is so easy to get reinfected.  The patients success is linked and tied closely to them understanding that preventing nail fungus is a life long journey and anti-fungals become a daily occurrence FORVER, to prevent any reinfection.


The reason I even mention nail infections from fungus is because the fungus that commonly causes athletes foot is the same fungus that often cause a toenail fungus.  So if you have athletes foot and no toenail fungus this is a warning, prevention is the best medicine.  I see people on a daily basis who come into my office with ankle sprains, heel pain and other non skin related conditions, many of these people are in shock to find out that they also have athletes foot. But these lucky people are able to treat their condition so it doesn't progress to something worse.

If you are reading this, I would encourage you to check your feet. Inspect the bottoms of your feet, do you see peeling skin in between your toes? Are the soles of your feet peeling? Do you have weird little cracks on your feet? This may be fungus, don't be like my gross, neglected kids, TREAT IT:)

If you know me then you know I have one other child, she was lucky enough to not get the athletes foot in our fungal laden house:) 
But She has her own issues, see below:)
KEEP YOUR FEET HAPPY AND HEALTHY:)  Thank you for taking the time to read our little blog. As always, if you ever have any foot or ankle problems, Dr. Henne and myself are there for you.  If you would like any more information about foot stuff please visit our webpage at centeranklefootcare.com we have tons of information on all different kinds of foot and ankle conditions and information about the PinPointe Laser for Nail Fungus. 
Take Care, 
Dr. McGowan:)

2 comments:



  1. A doctor may diagnose athlete’s foot by the symptoms alone or may order a skin test if they aren’t sure if a fungal infection

    is causing your symptoms. There can be many solutions of this but We provide you the best Home Remedies For Athletes Foot . There are no any side

    effects. Just try it and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PLEASE READ THIS TESTIMONY CAREFULLY. I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE WORLD THAT, GREAT MOTHER IS A GIFTED SPELL CASTER. MY HUSBAND LEFT ME FOR NO REASON. I WAS NO LONGER MY SELF AND AT A TIME, I ATTEMPTED TO COMMIT SUICIDE. BUT THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS GREAT MOTHER ONLINE. I READ GOOD REVIEWS ABOUT HER GOOD WORK AND HOW USEFUL AND HELPFUL SHE HAS BEEN TO PEOPLE. I CONTACTED HER AND TOLD HER MY PROBLEM. SHE TOLD ME THAT MY WAN WILL COME BACK TO ME. SHE TOLD ME WHAT TO DO AND I DID IT AND TO MY GREAT SURPRISE MY HUSBAND CAME BACK JUST AS GREAT MOTHER SAID. I EVEN NOTICED THAT WHEN MY HUSBAND RETURNED, HE EVEN LOVE ME MORE. THIS IS NOT BRAIN WASHING BUT GREAT MOTHER OPENED UP HIS EYES TO SEE HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE FOR HIM AND HOW MUCH LOVE WE OUGHT TO SHARE WITH EACH OTHER. CONTACT HER NOW ON HER EMAIL:
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM AND YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HER ON WHATSAPP WITH HER NUMBER: +2348078359876 SHE ALSO HAS 2 BLOGS WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE TO REACH HER. THESE ARE THE BLOGS BELOW. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE BLOGS TO SEE HER WORK.

    GREATMOTHEROFPOWERS.BLOGSPOT.COM
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTION.BLOGSPOT.COM

    PLEASE READ THIS TESTIMONY CAREFULLY. I AM USING THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TELL THE WORLD THAT, GREAT MOTHER IS A GIFTED SPELL CASTER. MY HUSBAND LEFT ME FOR NO REASON. I WAS NO LONGER MY SELF AND AT A TIME, I ATTEMPTED TO COMMIT SUICIDE. BUT THANK GOD I CAME ACROSS GREAT MOTHER ONLINE. I READ GOOD REVIEWS ABOUT HER GOOD WORK AND HOW USEFUL AND HELPFUL SHE HAS BEEN TO PEOPLE. I CONTACTED HER AND TOLD HER MY PROBLEM. SHE TOLD ME THAT MY WAN WILL COME BACK TO ME. SHE TOLD ME WHAT TO DO AND I DID IT AND TO MY GREAT SURPRISE MY HUSBAND CAME BACK JUST AS GREAT MOTHER SAID. I EVEN NOTICED THAT WHEN MY HUSBAND RETURNED, HE EVEN LOVE ME MORE. THIS IS NOT BRAIN WASHING BUT GREAT MOTHER OPENED UP HIS EYES TO SEE HOW MUCH LOVE I HAVE FOR HIM AND HOW MUCH LOVE WE OUGHT TO SHARE WITH EACH OTHER. CONTACT HER NOW ON HER EMAIL:
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTIONTEMPLE@YAHOO.COM AND YOU CAN ALSO CONTACT HER ON WHATSAPP WITH HER NUMBER: +2348078359876 SHE ALSO HAS 2 BLOGS WHICH YOU CAN ALSO USE TO REACH HER. THESE ARE THE BLOGS BELOW. YOU CAN CHECK OUT THE BLOGS TO SEE HER WORK.

    GREATMOTHEROFPOWERS.BLOGSPOT.COM
    GREATMOTHEROFSOLUTION.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete