Friday, December 11, 2015

ICD-10 Coding for Diabetic wounds, what you as a podiatrist should know.

We are now a 2 full months into the ICD-10 code take over.  In my own practice, I can tell you that my world did not come crumbling down, and claims from all payers are coming in the normal standard fashion.  All of my at risk foot care or diabetic foot care claims have all been clean with no problems. Normal every day tendon injuries like peroneal tendonitis, Achilles tendonitis, posterior tibial tendonitis and plantar fasciitis claims are going through as well with no problems.

The only claims that I had kicked back to me have been my diabetic foot ulcers.  The following is what you need to know to bill a diabetic foot wound correctly:

1.  You will need the diabetic foot code associated with if the person is Type 1 or Type 2 diabetic and has a foot wound

  • E11.621- Type 2 diabetes with foot ulcer
  • E10.621- Type 1 diabetes with foot ulcer
2.  You will need the code for the specificity of the site, laterality, and depth.  L97.5 is a non pressure wound other part of the foot(toes) and L97.4 is a non pressure wound on the heel or midfoot adding a 1 or 2 gives the laterality, right or left foot respectively. But the addition of depth is included in the codes below to give you the most specificity for these codes to be covered and paid. 

If your wound is on the right side you will be using one of the codes below for a diabetic foot wound on the toes:
  • L97.511-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with breakdown of skin
  • L97.512-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with fat layer exposed
  • L97.513-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of muscle
  • L97.514-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of bone


If your wound is on the left side you will be using one of the codes below for a diabetic foot wound on the toes:
  • L97.521-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with breakdown of skin
  • L97.522-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with fat layer exposed
  • L97.523-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of muscle
  • L97.524-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of bone
If your wound is on the right side you will be using one of the codes below for a diabetic foot wound on the heel or midfoot:
  • L97.411-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with breakdown of skin
  • L97.412-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with fat layer exposed
  • L97.413-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of muscle
  • L97.414-  Right foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of bone
If your wound is on the left side you will be using one of the codes below for a diabetic foot wound on the heel or midfoot:
  • L97.421-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with breakdown of skin
  • L97.422-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with fat layer exposed
  • L97.423-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of muscle
  • L97.424-  Left foot non pressure ulcer with necrosis of bone
3.  Most of our diabetic patients that have foot ulcers also have some degree of polyneuropathy and coding for that would get you to the highest level of specificity using one of the following codes linking the Type 1 or 2 diabetes with the polyneuropathy:

  • E11.42- Type 2 diabetes with diabetic polyneuropathy
  • E10.42- Type 1 diabetes with diabetic polyneuropathy
For example, from the information above, if you had a Type 2 diabetic with a foot ulcer on their left heel with exposed bone and they have polyneuropathy the only three codes you need to be reimbursed with the correct documentation, would be the following:
  • E11.621
  • L97.424
  • E11.42
This again is pretty simple when you have it all in front of you and organized, As it is almost impossible to have all of these codes on your superbill or encounter form, it may be a great idea to have these codes on a cheat sheet in each treatment room.  It will save you time, not having to scroll through your EMR for the codes, especially of you see high volume of diabetic wounds. 

I hope this helps makes your life a little easier in the ICD-10 new world of billing. I know in my practice I see a lot of diabetic wounds so I was happy to see these codes were not terribly convoluted. If you do not have a "superbill" we have a quick reference sheet, for what we see as podiatrist most common diagnosis, available at our website. For $75 we will email it to you with our metatarsal fracture cheat sheet and our power point on billing diabetic foot care. Our website is listed here   http://centeranklefootcare.com/catalog/c14_p1.html
this is an editable rtf and pdf format.

Good luck with your billing!

Michele McGowan, DPM


18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. MY STORY HERE IS REAL AND GENUINE. My name is Adams Vienna and i am here to testify about Great Mother who brought back my man to me when he broke up with me because of another woman who he met at his place of work. Great Mother is a very powerful, real and unique woman with special powers. I tried to get help from many places and sources to bring back my man but nothing worked but when i contacted Great Mother, she made me smile again by bringing my man back to me with her special powers.. If you are experiencing any problems in your marriage, relationship, and you have any similar problem to this, contact this Great Woman now she will help you. Here is her website: Ourgreatmother1.com   and here is her email address: Greatmotherofsolutiontemple1@yahoo.com   and you can also contact her now on her own Whatsapp number: +17025514367 You can either contact her on her website, email or her whatsapp number. Thank you Great Mother.  

      Delete
  2. Best Guide:
    Role of hyperbaric oxygen in the treatment of chronic EARLY problematic wounds, wounds that difficult and / or slow the whole, they are wounds that do not respond to existing classical methods of medical / surgical care. Such wounds are typically seen in patients vulnerable tissue repair is slowed due to multiple causes local and systemic. Among these wounds are most frequently mentioned: diabetic foot.More treatment of
    diabetes please visit this site. Diabetes Destroyer program

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get the low cost diabetic foot treatment in Punjab if you are suffering for the problem diabetes. These diabetic ulcers can put your health into a great trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Every One Out Here
    I'm Debbie Kladke. I'm from United States North Bergen(US). I read some testimony about Dr. Iyaryi on how he has helped people in bringing back there ex within 48 hours i was just thinking if that was real,And decided to call a lady who made a testimony and also dropped her number,So i called her and ask her about Dr. Iyaryi she said Dr. Iyaryi is a trustworthy man and he his ready to bring back my lover for me,i was just so happy and a little bit relief that my lover will be back to me soon,Then i decided in contacting Dr. Iyaryi which i did,And before i could share him my problem he has already told me what i came for,And he said everything will be okay within 48 hours that my lover will be back to my arms,So he said he would be casting the spell and that within 48 hours my lover would call me,So i hoped so truly before the 48 hours i got a call from a man who has left me for the past 6 years saying he is sorry and he wants me back,i was happy and i said i also want him back,Then i traveled to Canada to meet him up,And he apologized for what he has done to me now he proposed to marry me and we are both preparing for our wedding soon,All thanks to the great and World best spell caster, Dr. Iyaryi His private mail driayaryi2012@hotmail.com. And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. IyaryI

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Every One Out Here
    I'm Debbie Kladke. I'm from United States North Bergen(US). I read some testimony about Dr. Iyaryi on how he has helped people in bringing back there ex within 48 hours i was just thinking if that was real,And decided to call a lady who made a testimony and also dropped her number,So i called her and ask her about Dr. Iyaryi she said Dr. Iyaryi is a trustworthy man and he his ready to bring back my lover for me,i was just so happy and a little bit relief that my lover will be back to me soon,Then i decided in contacting Dr. Iyaryi which i did,And before i could share him my problem he has already told me what i came for,And he said everything will be okay within 48 hours that my lover will be back to my arms,So he said he would be casting the spell and that within 48 hours my lover would call me,So i hoped so truly before the 48 hours i got a call from a man who has left me for the past 6 years saying he is sorry and he wants me back,i was happy and i said i also want him back,Then i traveled to Canada to meet him up,And he apologized for what he has done to me now he proposed to marry me and we are both preparing for our wedding soon,All thanks to the great and World best spell caster, Dr. Iyaryi His private mail driayaryi2012@hotmail.com. And also Reach him on WhatsApp Number: +2349057915709 Thanks Dr. IyaryI

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Article. its is very very helpful for all of us and I never get bored while reading your article because, they are becomes a more and more interesting from the starting lines until the end.

    medical coding training and placements in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  7. If any one have Baldness problem they have to visit
    Hair Transplant Punjab .it is very important to done hair transplant from Best surgeon and with low cost.

    ReplyDelete

  8. The article provided by you is very nice and it is very helpful to know the more information.keep update with your blogs .I found a article related to you..once you can check it out.
    Best CPC Certification in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  9. i want to testify to the general public how my relationship was restored back by the great power's of Dr UZOYA after 3 year of loneliness, my ex wife called me after my contact with Dr UZOYA caster spell that brought my ex wife back and start a good home, now we are happily married. All thanks to Dr UZOYA for his wonderful spiritual help.With this testimony right now i am the happiest man on earth and our love is now stronger than how it was even before. I will keep sharing this testimony all over the world. All thanks goes to Dr.UZOYA for the good work that he has done for me and people he has helped. Believe him and do all he ask you to do and never doubt him in any way.his email; driraborspellcaster@gmail.com his Mobil number is +13019098775

    ReplyDelete
  10. E11.621- Type 2 diabetes with foot ulcer
    E10.621- Type 1 diabetes with foot ulcer
    must know codes are provided by you thank you it is very useful.
    Evaluation and Management training in hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes. You may have noticed that your feet take a huge amount of stress, especially when you’re at work or travelling. If you were to walk barefoot, the stress would get evenly distributed.

    You will find them right here at our online store. We are one of the leading best shoe insoles, and have been in this business for well over a decade. We make insoles custom-fit to your requirements, which are guaranteed to provide maximum comfort and support.

    But here’s the question…

    Does a shoe insole really help? Does it really make you feel better, alleviate some of the foot ache you might be feeling?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease…Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Hiv_ Aids,Herpe ,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Lupus.
    ,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,Hypertension,Colo_Rectal Cancer,Lyme Disease,Blood Cancer,Brain Cancer,Breast Cancer,Lung Cancer,Kidney Cancer, HIV, Herpes,Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / info@drituaherbalcenter.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.
    Or Text me on +1-502-2334-479 for more expliant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for your great and helpful presentation I like your good service.I always appreciate your post. Excellent information on your blog, thank you for taking the time to share with us.
    insomnia unspecified icd 10

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Sir/Ma,

    We are genuine certified Financial Instrument providers. Presently, we only focus on BG/SBLC for Lease and purchase purposes. Our Lease BG/SBLC is 4+2% and purchase at 32+2%.

    * FOR LEASING OF BG/SBLC
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M
    LEASING FEE = 4%+2%

    * FOR PURCHASE OF FRESH CUT BG/SBLC
    PRICE = 32%+2%
    MINIMUM FACE VALUE OF BG/SBLC = EUR/USD 1M

    Kindly contact us for our procedures and be sure that we shall respond within 48hrs maximum.

    Intermediaries/Consultants/Brokers are welcome to bring their clients and are 100% protected. In complete confidence, we will work together for the benefits of all parties involved.
    Rafferty Vandor
    E-mail : raffertyvandor@gmail.com
    Skype id : raffertyvandor@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody at baby center told us to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, We contacted him at this email; babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka , for him to help us, then we told him our problem, he told us that we will conceive once we follow his instructions ,but after two years of trying we were at a point where we were willing to try anything. And I'm glad we came to Priest Babaka, Because his pregnancy spell cast and herbal remedy help us, and I honestly believe him, and his gods really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka if you are trying to have a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine









    my partner and I have been trying for a baby for over two years now, We were going to a fertility clinic for about 5 months before somebody at baby center told us to contact this spell caster who is so powerful, We contacted him at this email; babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka , for him to help us, then we told him our problem, he told us that we will conceive once we follow his instructions ,but after two years of trying we were at a point where we were willing to try anything. And I'm glad we came to Priest Babaka, Because his pregnancy spell cast and herbal remedy help us, and I honestly believe him, and his gods really helped us as well, I am thankful for all he has done. contact him via email: babaka.wolf@gmail.com or Facebook at priest.babaka if you are trying to have a baby or want your lover back. he has powers to do it, he has done mine

    ReplyDelete
  16. FINANCIAL PLANNING LOAN COMPANY
    DO YOU NEED A FINANCIAL HELP? ARE YOU IN ANY FINANCIAL CRISIS OR DO YOU NEED FUNDS TO START UP YOUR OWN BUSINESS? DO YOU NEED FUNDS TO SETTLE YOUR DEBT OR PAY OFF YOUR BILLS OR START A GOOD BUSINESS? DO YOU HAVE A LOW CREDIT SCORE AND YOU ARE FINDING IT HARD TO OBTAIN CAPITAL SERVICES FROM LOCAL BANKS AND OTHER FINANCIAL INSTITUTES? HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO OBTAIN FINANCIAL SERVICES FROM OUR COMPANY. WE OFFER THE FOLLOWING FINANCE TO INDIVIDUALS- *COMMERCIAL FINANCE *PERSONAL FINANCE *BUSINESS FINANCE *CONSTRUCTION FINANCE *BUSINESS FINANCE AND MANY MORE: FOR MORE DETAILS.CONTACT US VIA. EMAIL at: {Libertyprivatefunding@yahoo.com},
    or better still you can decide to send us a message directly on WhatsApp via : {+447535135409}, loan with us today and be credited within a lightning speed.

    ReplyDelete